22 April, 2015

REVIEW: A DANCE WITH DRAGONS by George R.R. Martin

Title: A Dance with Dragons
Author: George R.R. Martin
Series: A Song of Ice and Fire #
Genres: Fantasy, Fiction
add to goodreads

PLOT SUMMARY: In the aftermath of a colossal battle, the future of the Seven Kingdoms hangs in the balance — beset by newly emerging threats from every direction. In the east, Daenerys Targaryen, the last scion of House Targaryen, rules with her three dragons as queen of a city built on dust and death. But Daenerys has thousands of enemies, and many have set out to find her. As they gather, one young man embarks upon his own quest for the queen, with an entirely different goal in mind.

Fleeing from Westeros with a price on his head, Tyrion Lannister, too, is making his way to Daenerys. But his newest allies in this quest are not the rag-tag band they seem, and at their heart lies one who could undo Daenerys's claim to Westeros forever.

Meanwhile, to the north lies the mammoth Wall of ice and stone — a structure only as strong as those guarding it. There, Jon Snow, 998th Lord Commander of the Night's Watch, will face his greatest challenge. For he has powerful foes not only within the Watch but also beyond, in the land of the creatures of ice.

From all corners, bitter conflicts reignite, intimate betrayals are perpetrated, and a grand cast of outlaws and priests, soldiers and skinchangers, nobles and slaves, will face seemingly insurmountable obstacles. Some will fail, others will grow in the strength of darkness. But in a time of rising restlessness, the tides of destiny and politics will lead inevitably to the greatest dance of all.




 
Alright, so after last book being incredibly slow I have put this one aside for much longer than desired. But then the day of new Game of Thrones season came and it occurred to me for some weird reason to check on which book they will base the story this time. And surprise surprise it turned out to be both #4 AND #5! So I had really no choice other than to dig into fifth book in order to watch the new season of Game of Thrones!



First of all I have to admit, after book #4 I knew nothing new. I found it boring and just...well worst of the series. But book #5...as famous Ygritte saying goes:


I know so much now I feel powerful! But do not worry, I am not going to give in to my evil side and am not about to spoil you the pleasure!

CHARACTERS: Now in this book we are back again following the lives of main characters Daenerys Targaryen, Tyrion Lannister and Jon Snow. I just must say, up till now Daenerys used to be my all time favourite and I really much as hater Jon since beginning. But you know what happened? Jon Snow is now officially my most favourite character of the series! Tho, yes I still love Daenerys, she is rather annoying in this book but she is only a child after all. And I do very much enjoy Tyrion, except for him being a little bit of the softie, that just felt wrong to me. 

PLUS: However, it does not mean that book focus only on these three characters. As a matter of fact, we readers, get a taste of many new characters as well as old: Arya, Jamie, Cersei and many more. The only one that I did miss was Sansa Stark. 

MINUS: Unfortunatly for me, there were also stories of Ramsey and Iron Islands. I have heard they deleted  Iron Islands from the Game of Thrones TV Show completely and well...I am so very very happy about it. It was my main minus for the series really, since the beginning starting with Theon that whole Iron Island side for me was just plain boring. They call wildlings savages but to me Iron Island are savages.


OVERALL: It is really a shame because I cannot discuss here the plot of the book as that would most definitely spoil the story to you. All I can say is that I am powerful now, yes I mentioned it before but you see I must make sure the weight of my words is grand, I AM powerful! So from that you take it, there is Big Big BANG in this book and that BANG is not just one... it is a greatest battlefield of all!






0 comments:

Post a Comment