17 August, 2015

REVIEW: SECRET VAMPIRE by L.J.Smith


Title: Secret Vampire
Author: L.J. Smith
Series: Night World #1
Genres: Fantasy, Paranormal, YA
Publisher: Simon & Schuster
Source: Physical copy
Pages: 242

Add to GoodReads // Buy on BookDepository

SYNOPSIS: The diagnosis for Poppy was death. there was no hope--until James, her best friend and secret love, appeared in the hospital. But this was a James she didn't know. He offered Poppy eternal life. Only he could open the door to the Night World. They're soulmates--but can she follow him into death and beyond?


I own 9 books of Night World so it was just about time I get to read them. I didn't really expect anything, I know L.J.Smith style of writing, I love it but it's rare for it to be mind blowing. Except in Vampire Diaries of course.


While reading the book I actually realized that I have read it a very long time ago. I did not remember much or how the story is gonna end but it felt like deja vu very ofter.


THE WORLD: The everyday surrounding world is just like ours. But there is another world that people do not know about. And it is the Night World. It is full of vampires, witches and werewolves...I assume there are more but so far in book one we are only introduced to them. I always liked L.J. Smith for her ability to write about this type of world. The vampire in this book are of focus but they are not something blah. They are powerful and have advanced senses. They need human blood to survive and I actually very much liked how this need for human blood was explained in the book.

CHARACTERS: Poppy is the main character in this book. I really have an issue with the name but other than that she is rather likable character. She is just cute. Her best friend is James, he is the dark vampire who tries to help Poppy when she gets third stage pancreatic cancer. However, Poppy's twin brother Phil does not trust James. To be honest, the characters in this book are very simple.

LOVE: James is Poppy's best friend. Poppy is in love with James. James does not return Poppy's feeling. At least till she gets cancer. In the end they are soulmates and in love. Very simple.

PLUS: This book had witches. I love witches!

PLUS II: As most L.J.Smith books it was a very easy read. Like a one afternoon book really. Maybe that is why I didn't remember a whole story even I read it in my life before. 

MINUS: It was actually a little bit weird how this book was structures. About 80% of this book is about Poppy becoming a vampire. Then in last 50 pages a villain is introduced. In last 20 pages the villain is busted and it all end very happy ending. Just strange story building.



What do you guys think about SECRET VAMPIRE?





0 comments:

Post a Comment