05 November, 2015

REVIEW: CLOCKWORK PRINCE by Cassandra Clare


Title: Clockwork Prince
Author: Cassandra Clare
Series: The Infernal Devices #2
Genres: YA, Fantasy, Paranormal
Publisher: Walker Books Ltd
Source: Physical copy
Pages: 498

Add to GoodReads // Buy on BookDepository

SYNOPSIS:  In the magical underworld of Victorian London, Tessa Gray has at last found safety with the Shadowhunters. But that safety proves fleeting when rogue forces in the Clave plot to see her protector, Charlotte, replaced as head of the Institute. If Charlotte loses her position, Tessa will be out on the street—and easy prey for the mysterious Magister, who wants to use Tessa’s powers for his own dark ends.

With the help of the handsome, self-destructive Will and the fiercely devoted Jem, Tessa discovers that the Magister’s war on the Shadowhunters is deeply personal. He blames them for a long-ago tragedy that shattered his life. To unravel the secrets of the past, the trio journeys from mist-shrouded Yorkshire to a manor house that holds untold horrors, from the slums of London to an enchanted ballroom where Tessa discovers that the truth of her parentage is more sinister than she had imagined. When they encounter a clockwork demon bearing a warning for Will, they realize that the Magister himself knows their every move—and that one of their own has betrayed them.

Tessa finds her heart drawn more and more to Jem, but her longing for Will, despite his dark moods, continues to unsettle her. But something is changing in Will—the wall he has built around himself is crumbling. Could finding the Magister free Will from his secrets and give Tessa the answers about who she is and what she was born to do?

As their dangerous search for the Magister and the truth leads the friends into peril, Tessa learns that when love and lies are mixed, they can corrupt even the purest heart.


So you know how I gave Clockwork Angel only 3 out of 5 stars? And also how long it took me to read it? Well it is no surprise I think that I was putting off this book for ages. But a few days I finally decided it is time.


THE WORLD: So infernal devices series has been set in old Victorian London, way before Mortal Instruments setting. However, the principle is still the same: Clave, Shadowhunters, Institutes, Idris, Demon realm. I think most if not all of you are familiar by now with Shadowhunters so I will just skip this part.

CHARACTERS: Tessa is the main character we follow in the series. She is a sort of warlock, however it is not really clear. I have to admit, in the first book Tessa was rather annoying but now she really grew, no more annoyance on her part. Tho, I am not loving her. She just is there and that is about how much feelings I have towards her. Aside from Tessa, the book very much concentrates also on two Shadowhunters: Will and Jem. Will is a bad boy wanna be. In this finally it is explained why he is such an asshole but despite all the pitiful stuff I am still glad about the way it worked out for him and Tessa. Yay, he absolutely deserved it! Jem on the other hand is my most favorite and I was very very glad to read more about him. He is so cute, I would not want a man like him in real world but in book he is perfect. Aside from the main characters there are other Shadowhunters and humans. Just let me tell you without spoiling anything, the two characters that got eliminated from the plot...oh boy oh boy how happy I am about it. Especially the girl, I hated her with all my heart. Who I do like is Lightwoods, not the father obviously tho. There is something about the brothers that makes me want to know much more.

LOVE: So as I mentioned there is Tessa, a plain absolutely nobody and then there two parabatai aka brothers Shadowhunters Will and Jem who are madly in love with this nobody and would basically give up the world for her if she said a word. Pretty funny when you think about the fact that they only known the girl for like what a month? And I do not mean dating knowing...Imagine you see somebody at breakfast everyday, you say hello how is the weather and then after the month the guy proposes to you saying he is madly in love with you and will give up even his life for you. Creepy! Oh and what about Tessa's letters? So Will stole them, read them and felt in love with her. So somebody steals your diary, reads it hundred times and then says he is in love with you. I am so disappointed by the way Cassandra Clare handles romance.

PLUS: The covers of the books are absolutely amazing!

PLUS: Magnus Bane!

MINUS: Will. Oh god I hate him so much. Not exactly worse than Jace but very near.

MINUS: Have you noticed that the characters are rather same as in the Mortal Instruments? In TMI Izzy, Alec and Jace live in the institute. In TID Jassie, Jem and Will live in the institute. Jace/Will have dark past that makes then arrogant and unlikable. Then comes Clary or Tessa and Jace/Will falls in love and makes them a better person. Plus, Jem and Will are parabatai, just like Alec and Jace are parabatai... I dunno, maybe it is just me, but I do get awfully many deja vus while reading the infernal devices.

OVERALL: So there are things that I did not like in this book but I do have to admit it, it was so so much better than Clockwork Angel! I was eager to read this book almost to the last page. And now I am already reading the Clockwork Princess!



What do you guys think about CLOCKWORK PRINCE?