11 December, 2015

REVIEW: BLACK WIDOW by Margaret Stohl

Title: Black Widow: Forever Red
Author: Margaret Stohl
Series: -
Genres: YA, Fantasy, Superheroes
Publisher: Marvel Press
Source: physical book
Pages: 401

Add to Goodreads // Buy on BookDepository

SYNOPSIS: Natasha Romanoff is one of the world's most lethal assassins. Trained from a young age in the arts of death and deception, Natasha was given the title of Black Widow by Ivan Somodorov, her brutal teacher at the Red Room, Moscow's infamous academy for operatives.

Ava Orlova is just trying to fit in as an average Brooklyn teenager, but her life has been anything but average.The daughter of a missing Russian quantum physicist, Ava was once subjected to a series of ruthless military experiments-until she was rescued by Black Widow and placed under S.H.I.E.L.D. protection. Ava has always longed to reconnect with her mysterious savior, but Black Widow isn't really the big sister type.

Until now.

When children all over Eastern Europe begin to go missing, and rumors of smuggled Red Room tech light up the dark net, Natasha suspects her old teacher has returned-and that Ava Orlova might be the only one who can stop him. To defeat the madman who threatens their future, Natasha and Ava must unravel their pasts. Only then will they discover the truth about the dark-eyed boy with an hourglass tattoo who haunts Ava's dreams. . . .

Black Widow:Forever Red features all the heart-pounding adventure readers expect from Marvel, written by #1 New York Times best-selling author Margaret Stohl. Uncover a new side of the Marvel Universe that will thrill loyal fans and newcomers alike, as Stohl reveals the untold story of Black Widow for the very first time.


So I am no fan of superheroes. Like I maybe have seen first avengers once upon a time but that would be about all. Hmm does X-men count as superheroes? If it does then okay, I really like X-men :D Anyways the reason I bought this book was simple, it has a gorgeous cover and was on sale...



Again let me remind you that I do not like superheroes and know nothing of them. However, by boyfriend likes Avengers very much so he was incredible source when Tony Stark appeared in the book or the references to other Avengers were made. Nope, I had no idea who is Tony Stark. Yes, now I know.

THE WORLD: It is nowadays world with superheroes present in it, well mainly Avengers really who are part of the SHIELD which stands I have no idea for. But it is an operational spy-superheroes regulatory program or something like that. In other words, SHIELD was not presented very nicely in this book.

CHARACTERS: Even tho the name of the book says it is going to be about Black Widow aka Natasha, it really had three main characters: Natasha, Ava and Alex. Now let's start with Natasha. I personally knew nothing about her so figuring out that she was just an assassin was rather shocking, no superpowers...so much for superheroes. Anyways, I rather liked her. She was strong and frankly never annoying. But I did not exactly get why she was said to be forever red...like because she is Russian and Russians were the red ones? Heh? Confused. Next we have Ava, okay this one was really annoying. Pure little girl forgotten by the world...oh save it...she was a spoiled little brat who thought living alone was worse than living at all. And her all I am 17 years old but I will do everything myself and I will kill the criminal even SHIELD was not able to take out...yeah right. No wonder she got others killed. No that is not a spoiler. It is obvious people die in such a book, but I won't tell you who. Okay let's move on onto Alex. Now him...I am in doubt if I really like him. I mean okay his story was good but his attitude...I see a girl and my brain leaks out and now I am a zombie without mind and I will die for her even if I do not know her. I do not like characters who exist just to praise the female/male character of the book or movie.

LOVE: No love triangles! Oh yes! There was some weird Ava and Alex romance going on but you just mainly ignore it. It is all action, like watching Bruce Willis's movies.

PLUS: I was really surprised how much I enjoyed this book. Actually as much as I actually went on goodreads and checked out if the author has written anything else of similar type. Sadly not. But if she is going to the future than I will be definitely picking it up.

MINUS: As I mentioned, some of the things were really overdone.

OVERALL: It definitely does not make me want to go and watch superheroes movies but I would really like to read something similar about other superheroes, except all these superman, spiderman, captain America, Tony Stark and many more. Okay yeah, I still very much dislike superheroes. Are there any more strong female superheroes that are not really a superhero? Anyways, I am glad to give this book 4 stars. It really surprised me!

What do you guys think about BLACK WIDOW?