18 January, 2016

REVIEW: SISTERS' FATE by Jessica Spotswood

Title: Sisters' Fate
Author: Jessica Spotswood
Series: The Cahill Witch Chronicles #3
Genres: YA, Fantasy, Witches
Publisher: Putnam Juvenile
Source: Physical copy
Pages: 368

Add to GoodReads

PLOT SUMMARY: A fever ravages New London, but with the Brotherhood sending suspected witches straight to the gallows, the Sisters are powerless against the disease. They can’t help without revealing their powers—as Cate learns when a potent display of magic turns her into the most wanted witch in all of New England.

To make matters worse, Cate has been erased from the memory of her beloved Finn. While she’s torn between protecting him from further attacks and encouraging him to fall for her all over again, she’s certain she can never forgive Maura’s betrayal. And now that Tess’s visions have taken a deadly turn, the prophecy that one Cahill sister will murder another looms ever closer to its fulfillment.


 
I must admit, after reading the second book in the series called Star Cursed I was not expecting much of this series anymore. However, I did already own the third book so I decided that I might just go and read it.

 

THE WORLD:  The story is set in old times New England when women were supposed to stay home and look after children and the men be the providers. It is also the time when religious Brotherhood is ruling and witches are being killed or locked in insane asylum. In the third book the world gets even worse for the women because they are forbidden to do any kind of work and provide for the family, their place is at home and at home only.

CHARACTERS: Cate is the main character of the series. She is the oldest Cahill sister and a powerful witch. Now, Cate has a very impressive self control and always thinks about other first. Under normal circumstances I dislike such characters but not in this book. I loved Cate since book one and she stayed my favorite character till the end. Maura is the middle sister and what you call a pain in the ass. She is extremely jealous of Cate but somehow where in the second book my hate for Maura was boiling, in this book she was not as much present and therefore I managed to control my emotions. I liked the ending tho, it fit Maura very well. And finally we have Tess who is the youngest sister and the most powerful one. I must admit, where in the first and second book Tess was super cute curious little side character, in this book she gets super whinny and annoying. I just did not like her anymore. She was too much for me, just too much. But the one thing that makes this series special is Finn...oh my that man. I was so sad for Cate after what Maura did but I never doubted Finn...I just had that feeling that he is worth all of it.

LOVE: In the first book we get pretty clear romance going on but in the second one it gets shaken and now in the third one things slowly get back where they belong. It was lovely, I think from romance perspective third book was my favorite.

PLUS: I really loved how Jessica Spotswood changed her direction and made this book much better than the second one.

MINUS: I am still a little bit confused about Inez and what was her plan really or what she really did. I mean I get the ending is what it is supposed to be but why how and what I am still missing answers to.

IDEA: The thing is, I know many people love this series for it is strong feminism and sisters love. But I must admit, even tho feminism itself was alright I did not see any strong sisters love in this book. Just because Maura did what she did in the end does not make all what she did to Cate alright. When I think about strong sisters love I do not think of jealousy, betrayal or pure hate. I just do not see it.

OVERALL: It was a great series about witches but I must admit, some people stop with book one and I don't blame them. Many times while reading the second book I wished I stopped myself but that need to finish what I start got me through. In the end, I am not sure if the ending was really worth going all through the pain of the second book.


 


What did you think of SISTERS' FATE?