11 July, 2016

REVIEW: THE VAMPIRE DIARIES (the Fury and Dark Reunion) by L.J.Smith

Title: The Vampire Diaires: The Fury and Dark Reunion
Author: L.J.Smith
Series: The Vampire Diaries
Genres: Fiction, YA, Vampire novel
Publisher: HarperTeen
Source: Paperback
Pages: 520


// Add to GoodReads //

BLURB:
LOVE CAN KILL

Elena: transformed, the golden girl has become what she once feared and desired.

Stefan: tormented by losing Elena, he's determined to end his feud with Damon once and for all - whatever the cost. But slowly he begins to realize that his brother is not his only enemy.

Damon: at last, he possesses Elena. But will his thirst for revenge against Stefan poison his triumph? Or can they come together to face one final battle?

Collected here in one edition are the third and fourth volumes of The Vampire Diaries, a riveting conclusion to the tale of two vampire brothers and the beautiful girl torn between them.

 
So let's continue with the reviews of The Vampire Diaries series. From my previous review you might have noticed that I absolutely loved the first two books so I jumped head first to read the next two, and I expected it to be just as good. Was I right? Let's find out:


 
THE WORLD: So the third book starts exactly where the second one ends. We're still in Fell's Church, so the world does not change for the majority of characters apart from one - Elena.

CHARACTERS: Just as in the first two books the main focus of this one as well is the dynamic trio: Elena, Stefan and Damon, the only thing different in this book is that in this one Elena is a vampire. Through out the entire book we see the struggles Elena has to adjust to her life as a vampire primarily because she can never return to her home, to her family. I got a little teary reading the parts where Elena hides in the shadows and watched her family from a far, knowing she'll never be able to touch them again. There is a heartbreaking scene between Elena and her baby sister, that just clearly shows how deep of a character Elena is. To be honest, she is much less annoying in the two other books, less arrogant and self-concern. She truly just wants to keep every one safe and move on with her life even if it's going to be forever.

The same goes for the Salvatore Brothers. I have to say, they blossomed in this one. You got to see them as humans, the entire  story behind why they are mortal enemies now and how they became vampires.

Bonnie and Meredith stayed as lovely and amazing as they were in the first books. In the beginning of the third book and mostly in all fourth book they think that Elena is dead, and I truly felt their heart break over losing their friend. We actually get see more of Bonnie, because remember how I mentioned in the previous review that Elena is writing a diary? Well after Elena dies, Bonnie takes over and you let me tell you, you just slowly fall in love with Bonnie. She is so funny and cute and just a really good person. And I just loved that she just didn't move on from Elena dying, she felt inside that she's a live that she could have never leave her without even saying goodbye, or just like that, and also what I enjoyed was how she slowly started to realize that Damon is actually not dead inside, that he feels remorse, he feels sad about what happened to Elena and to Stefan and that he is not all that bad. Really I could just have pictured a little red haired girl scribbling in her diary.

We also have a new villains: in the third book we have Katherine von Schwarzschild. She is the ghost girl from the Salvatore brother's past, the girl they both loved and both died for. Also she is the one who turned them into vampires. She and Elena supposedly look very much alike, and I did enjoy Katherine in this book. She wads a good enough villain, not too much drama or too much talking. She came to hurt Stefan and Damon and she did. In the forth book we have Klaus as the villain but let me warn you, she is nothing like Klaus in the TV show. To me he was boring and like was here for ten pages. Katherina was much much more pleasant and entertaining.

LOVE: Yes. So there is a little bit more love in these books. So again we have the triangle: Elena, Stefan and Damon. And we get to see how hurt everyone is, hurt and confused, because the moment Elena wakes up a vampire she find herself drawn to Damon more and more and he guides her through it, while Stefan takes a step back mainly because he just feels too guilty of what happened to her. He blames himself of course. But in the end it doesn't matter how attracted you feel to someone, it's true love that wins, love and devotion that Elena and Stefan show for each other, and I was all in!

What I also liked was the Katherine, Stefan, Damon drama. It was well written, their entire back story was explained to the details and as a reader I was completely satisfied.

Also, I enjoyed the Bonnie+Damon dynamic. These two were complete different people. Damon - dark and moody, Bonnie - sweet, innocent, shines with hope. Their dialogues and short times they spent together were so great to read!

PLUS: Just as the first two books I enjoyed the fast pace, and the tempo the story was being told at. I just enjoyed this reading experience. I enjoy books like these that stick to one supernatural line and explores it. These books did not go in all directions and made the characters super good or super bad. No. The story was what is was about a girl who got between two vampire brother's and the characters were just as any human, good and bad. And the ending! It was perfect! It left so much room for interpretation and just imagining how these characters lived after what happened to them, perfect ending, L.J.Smith sure knows how to write!

MINUS:  Perhaps the only minus I had with these two books was that I didn't really understood why after turning into a vampire Elena focused only on Damon and did what he told her to do. I think it was because of their bond but I didn't really capture what bond was that!

OVERALL: To be honest with you I don't think I jump reading the next book. I kind of have an idea that for me The Vampire Diaries will end with these four books, because I was completely satisfied with how they ended and how the characters where left. But I would recommend this book without thinking twice. It was simple, fast, interesting and fulfilling! What do you guys think? :)


 


What did you think of THE VAMPIRE DIARIES?