05 August, 2016

REVIEW: 1984 by George Orwell

Title:1984
Author: George Orwell
Series: -
Genres: Classic, Science Fiction
Publisher:  Signet Classics
Source: Audiobook
Pages: 268


// Add to GoodReads // BookDepository // Amazon //

BLURB:
The year 1984 has come and gone, but George Orwell's prophetic, nightmarish vision in 1949 of the world we were becoming is timelier than ever. 1984 is still the great modern classic of "negative utopia" -a startlingly original and haunting novel that creates an imaginary world that is completely convincing, from the first sentence to the last four words. No one can deny the novel's hold on the imaginations of whole generations, or the power of its admonitions -a power that seems to grow, not lessen, with the passage of time.

 
I read this book as part of Rory Gilmore Challenge.


 
THE WORLD:  Okay so supposedly this book is all dystopian 1949 world with basically communism taken all over the world more or less. People are brain washed and scared, bunch of politics and Big Brother watching and thought police and all that. So if up till now you have associated dystopian world with Hunger Games go and and skip this book because it for sure is going to ruin that for you. Horrible, just horribly unrealistic world. And in Blurb it actually says that it is believable from first to last page. Yeah right, who wrote this blurb?

CHARACTERS: Basically we have a few very stereotypical phlegmatic characters and the main of them is Winston. He is what author described to be following the rules but curious for how things were before Big Brother. Appereantly, Winston is one of few who has some brain left. Well I don't buy it. There is one thing to describe a character like this and completely different to actually create him this way. For me Winston was just a bored man who wanted to be cool. I mean okay this pretty weak expression but really, this whole character was so forced and just plain boring. Plus most of the time also very pathetic, there is just now way you could actually like him or even pity him. Especially when it comes to torturing...are you kidding me? Again, it might was a super novel in 1984 but this is 2016 and this stuff is outdated by long. I get it I get it, it is classics. But as with many classics, just because it is old and once seamed significant does not mean it is good. I am so sick of this kind of books being valued and studied as something out of this world when there are way better ones. Communism is in the past, get over yourself.

Okay so yeah, I really hated this book. Like really. I felt like it was me who was being brain washed when reading it. Laura even studied it in school, I am so grateful I never had to. 

LOVE: Blah, Winston starts sleeping with this Julia who literally is a tool in this book. Or the sleeping with an old prostitute. Okay, I have no nerves left anymore after reading this nonsense.

PLUS: It ended finally.

MINUS: Whole book from page one to the last.

OVERALL: I have read rather a lot of classics and "adult philosophical" books in my teens so before I started reading YA I already had a solid opinion of what is a good book and yeah, this is truly not one of them. Worst book of all times I have ever read. Just plain disgusting.


 


What did you think of 1984?