15 October, 2016

REVIEW: FOOL'S ASSASSIN by Robin Hobb

Title: Fool's Assassin
Author: Robin Hobb
Series:  The Fitz and The Fool Trilogy #1 
Genres: High Fantasy, Epic Fantasy, Magic
Publisher: Del Rey
Source: Audiobook
Pages: 688

// Goodreads // BookDepository // Amazon //

BLURB: Tom Badgerlock has been living peaceably in the manor house at Withywoods with his beloved wife Molly these many years, the estate a reward to his family for loyal service to the crown.

But behind the facade of respectable middle-age lies a turbulent and violent past. For Tom Badgerlock is actually FitzChivalry Farseer, bastard scion of the Farseer line, convicted user of Beast-magic, and assassin. A man who has risked much for his king and lost more…

On a shelf in his den sits a triptych carved in memory stone of a man, a wolf and a fool. Once, these three were inseparable friends: Fitz, Nighteyes and the Fool. But one is long dead, and one long-missing.

Then one Winterfest night a messenger arrives to seek out Fitz, but mysteriously disappears, leaving nothing but a blood-trail. What was the message? Who was the sender? And what has happened to the messenger?

Suddenly Fitz's violent old life erupts into the peace of his new world, and nothing and no one is safe.


I first saw this author's name on the shelf of my boyfriend's mother, she has all the books of Robin Hobb. Now funny think, for some reason I thought Robin Hobb was a man #shameonme till I googled her. This was about two years ago. Yes, it took me two years to read Robin Hobb, can you believe it? #stoneshaming


THE WORLD: Wonderful. This story is set in the world where kings and queens rule the kingdoms. Where assassin's are trained by the best and where fool's are sorta a fortunetellers in a way. There is magic known as skill, there is traveling via special stones, there are assassin's who poison the messenger with eggs of worms and when they hatch in your stomach they start eating you from inside. In this world a woman is pregnant for two years and then gives birth to a little girl who grows against all rules we are used to. It is a magical and wonderful world and I cannot wait to go back into it.

CHARACTERS: There are many characters in this story but main ones I would say are Tom, the owner and lord of the mansion and Bee, his daughter. It is hard to describe them without giving away the story but basically Tom once knew a Fool who foreseen that he was the chosen one. But then in her late years his wife gifts him with Bee, a little girl who grows much slower than other kids but is really smart. I must say I enjoyed them both, frankly I enjoyed all characters in this book, well all good ones. I am might not a big fan of Chade, he was too self absorbed for my liking. I should probably also say I did not love the girl that Chade tells Tom to look after but she was perfect for laughing at so I could not say story would be better without her. Now I do realize this is not the first series to start with when you enter Hobb world but I started it and I think I will just continue with it before I go and start from the beginning as all normal people :D Also, omg I love Nettle and Riddle, I need more of them? Is there a trilogy about them too?!!

LOVE: It is not the center of the book as it is a high fantasy book. Frankly, this is one of important reasons to me why I love High Fantasy, no romance to drive the story. Of course there is love, don't get me wrong and I loved so much the way Tom and Molly were or Nettle and Riddle, the forbidden love...but I also love that it is a side thing and not a main point of the book.

PLUS: Pretty much everything.

MINUS: Chade. I just really do not like him.

OVERALL: So so excited to be part of this amazing world, cannot wait to get my hand on the next book! Highly recommend!

What do you guys think about FOOL'S ASSASSIN?