27 February, 2017

MONDAY TRAVELS: GIRL FROM IPANEMA by Vinicius de Moraes



Happy Monday friends! I hope you packed light and got some party clothes and a lot of sun scream cause today are in sunny and hot Rio!

So today we are in BRAZIL and we will explore:

THE GIRL FROM IPANEMA




Brazilian poet Vinicius de Moraes:
Vinícius de Moraes (October 19, 1913 – July 9, 1980), was a Brazilian poet, lyricist, essayist and playwright who became a seminal figure in modern Brazilian music and literature. He composed his own bossa nova music and, as an interpreter of his own lyrics, recorded several significant albums.  His most famous song is Girl From Ipanema. The song was inspired by Helô Pinheiro, a seventeen-year-old girl living  in Ipanema. n the winter of 1962, the composers saw the girl pass by the bar. Since the song became popular, she has become a celebrity. English lyrics were written later by Norman Gimbel.



Lyrics:



Tall and tan and young and lovely
The girl from Ipanema goes walking and
When she passes, each one she passes goes "ah"

When she walks, she's like a samba
That swings so cool and sways so gentle that
When she passes, each one she passes goes

But I watch her so sadly
How can I tell her, "I love you?"
Yes, I would give my heart gladly

But each day, when she walks to the sea
She looks straight ahead, not at me
Tall and tan and young and lovely

The girl from Ipanema goes walking and
When she passes, I smile but she doesn't see, doesn't see

Olha que coisa mais linda mais cheia de graça
ela menina que vem e que passa
Num doce balanço a caminho do mar

Moça do corpo dourado do sol de ipanema
O seu balançado mais que um poema
a coisa mais linda que eu já vi passar..

But I watch her so sadly
Porque tudo to triste

Yes, I would give my heart gladly
But each day, when she walks to the sea
She looks straight ahead, not at me
Tall and tan and young and lovely
The girl from ipanema goes walking
And when she passes, I smile but she doesn't see

Por causa do amor
She just doesn't see
Nem olha para mim
She never sees me
Por causa do amor


Thoughts:

This song to me is just so dreamy, don't you agree. Just filled with hope and this innocence. When you see a person over and over again, and you wonder if you should say something or not. Or even if it's not romantic it's just nice to see the same person everyday at the same place.

You smile, you wait for a smile back and the day is suddenly more beautiful and good, and let's be honest if this is all happening in the beautiful and hot Brazil it's even more effective!

Now who wouldn't like to travel to Brazil? The music, the history, the literature!

I know I would love to!

So let's all be someones inspiration, someones Girl From Ipanema ;)






See you next Monday!