14 February, 2017

REVIEW: THE DREAM THIEVES by Maggie Stiefvater

SPOILERS OF PREVIOUS BOOK

Title: The Dream Thieves
Author: Maggie Stiefvater
Series: The Raven Cycle #2
Genres: Fantasy, YA
Publisher: Scholastic Press
Source: Kindle Edition
Pages: 453

Add to GoodReads // Buy on BookDepository

SYNOPSIS: If you could steal things from dreams, what would you take?

Ronan Lynch has secrets. Some he keeps from others. Some he keeps from himself.

One secret: Ronan can bring things out of his dreams.

And sometimes he's not the only one who wants those things.

Ronan is one of the raven boys—a group of friends, practically brothers, searching for a dead king named Glendower, who they think is hidden somewhere in the hills by their elite private school, Aglionby Academy. The path to Glendower has long lived as an undercurrent beneath town. But now, like Ronan's secrets, it is beginning to rise to the surface—changing everything in its wake.

Of The Raven Boys, Entertainment Weekly wrote, "Maggie Stiefvater's can't-put-it-down paranormal adventure will leave you clamoring for book two." Now the second book is here, with the same wild imagination, dark romance, and heart-stopping twists that only Maggie Stiefvater can conjure.

LAURA'S REVIEW
After the hype of The Raven Boys I was looking forward to the sequel. More Cabeswater, more Glendower, the quest continues! Or so I thought. I ended up thoroughly disappointed with it :( 


THE WORLD: The Dream Thieves picks up just where The Raven Boys ended and the whole book is set in Henrietta as explained in the previous review. Here, have Maggie's map of Henrietta and the Ley Lines (lol I'm hilarious):


THE CHARACTERS: Apart from our beloved Raven Boys; Gansey, Adam, Ronan, Noah and now I will be including Blue in the group although she's not a "Raven"... there are two characters introduced, Joseph Kavinsky *the biggest moron you'll ever know* and The Gray Man. To be honest I didn't like nor enjoy any of these new characters even though they both played an important role but Kavinsky was a pain in the arse the whole time, the typical character that gets under your skin and you can't get rid of the itchiness he causes. The Gray Man was as boring as watching paint dry and his chapters difficult to read fast enough so that you could move on to the next but luckily his chapters were the shortest. God bless.
In this book Blue's family is explored more in depth but I found all the new information either irrelevant or just out of place. Seriously, I don't care. Also Ronan is the main focus. This is HIS book and I know a lot of people love him and thus loved this book but not me. I don't care for Ronan, he's not one of my favorites.

Honestly, you could skip this book (just read a few spoilers) and I'm pretty sure you would still understand everything that's going on in the next one.

PLUS: The only plus I give The Dream Thieves is the fact that the last 35% of the book was enjoyable, once there is more action going on and the original theme of searching for Glendower is restored, then we get useful and cool information and more adventures! That's it. The first 60-65% of the book was so plain that it took me ages to read, I think I've never been that slow.

MINUS: All that I have already mentioned, how boring all those elements were. Also a minus here was the love, you know in the books when the characters are together but they don't know why anymore? How annoying their thoughts are? Yes, that. Get yourself together and make a decision for everyone's shake.

OVERALL: 3 stars. I loved the first book but this one was just boring. Only the last 35% was bearable to read, even exciting to read at times... the rest? meh. I really hope Blue Lily, Lily Blue is better... I have been told that Ronan is not the only character in the spotlight anymore and that the quest for Glendower and the Ley Lines is the plot's focus so yay! I will take The Dream Thieves as just the second book syndrome and move on to the next!





HANNAHCASSIE'S REVIEW 
Okay so I had problems with the first book but because I rather liked Ronan and the second book was supposed to be about him I ended up giving this series second chance. 


THE WORLD: So as it is a second book we are already familiar with the world. Basically the story is based in small Henrietta town where private school boys are looking for this long lost king. Additionally, there are psychics and some magic going on, also there are these energy lines that basically makes things happen and well yeah that is pretty much it.

THE CHARACTERS: So there is a whole bunch. But let's start with Blue first. So she was kinda okayish in book one, well I am sorry but that has changed. For me Blue just became one of these girls who do anything just to get boy's attention. Just the fact that she allows Gansey to call her not by her actual name...and I don't mean a sweet nickname, I mean he calls her Jane. Like seriously? She is written in a way that you supposed to think she is all tough and so on but this whole name thing alone already proves she is just another cheesy accessory to the story. Then there are the boys, the all so amazing Gansey. Omg the absolute golden boy, I am going to puke. Are we back in these books where girls start loosing their brains over some stupid boy? The amount of times we were told how amazing Gansey is omg really, puking much. Next we have Adam. So I actually liked him in the first book, well nope that sympathy is gone. Adam is a looser who wants to be Gansey number two. And his self pithiness is just depressing. Makes me want to smack him in the face. Okay next comes my so called favorite Ronan. He actually is a bad boy of the gang but I don't know, in first book Ronan was all mysterious and moody and you would think that oh okay he has some big secret to hide. Well he does but this secret is actually just...well not common but also did not excise how he behaves. Boooo Ronan Booooooo. And finally we get Noah. Now SPOILER I thought these boys are supposed to be a gang! So why does Noah go and kiss Blue who is Adam's girlfriend?!!!!! WHAT THE F***! SPOILER. Then there are these other characters who are just I don't know supposed to shock you? What was really all the purpose here? I am so so disappointed! 

PLUS: None. I am sorry but I just do not see any pluses in this book.

MINUS: Why this book does even exist? I mean I get it some people like it and I have no problem with it, we all have different taste. But for me...such a waste of my time. Not even pretty covers gonna save this.

OVERALL: 1 star for sure. I hated this book and it is a shame I read it after I made my most disappointing books of 2016 list because boy oh boy this would have been on it for sure. Not continuing with the series.


What did you think about THE DREAM THIEVES?