24 February, 2017

REVIEW: IDA by Alison Evans


Title: Ida
Author: Alison Evans
Series: -
Genres: YA, LGBT, Science Fiction
Publisher: Bonnier Publishing
Release: January 1st 2017
Source: ARC
Pages: 

// Goodreads // Amazon //

BLURB:
How do people decide on a path, and find the drive to pursue what they want?

Ida struggles more than other young people to work this out. She can shift between parallel universes, allowing her to follow alternative paths.

One day Ida sees a shadowy, see-through doppelganger of herself on the train. She starts to wonder if she’s actually in control of her ability, and whether there are effects far beyond what she’s considered.

How can she know, anyway, whether one universe is ultimately better than another? And what if the continual shifting causes her to lose what is most important to her, just as she’s discovering what that is, and she can never find her way back?

A COPY OF THIS BOOK HAS BEEN PROVIDED BY PUBLISHERS FOR AN HONEST REVIEW. 

EXPECTATIONS: This book popped up on Goodreads feed for me some time ago and it's blurb got me interested. However I kinda forgot it eventually and one day when I saw it on Netgalley as Read Now I realized it was the book I really wanted to get my hands on eventually so here we are.

THE WORLD: Okay so first thing first. Some of you well probably most of you are more broadly read then me so this would not have been a big thing but I personally have not read many books with LGBT characters so this was a big surprise to me. And no the surprise was not LGBT to me, it was the fact that there are no straight characters in this book. None at all. Also I shamefully have to admit I have never read a book that had genderqueer character in it so when the main character started using they for one person I got a little bit confused at first. I know I feel very embarrassed by this but I think in order to underline what this book gave me I just have to admit to this shameful inexperience of mine. So that having said now the world itself is very interesting. We have this main girl who sorta can time travel. Except that she isn't time traveling and instead she is traveling dimensions so in reality she kicked out whoever is in that dimension and takes over basically. Also we have these people who sorta are officers of this dimensional traveling so if you do this too much you will be visited by them. 

CHARACTERS: So main character is named Ida of course, she is a school drop out and is in the stage of figuring out what she wants to do with her life. And in a mean time she is picking up extra cash in a coffee shop. I must say I didn't mean Ida much, there were some good and bad things about her but all in all she was pretty nice characters. Tho, I have to admit I wasn't exactly crazy about her either. We had also a few more characters, like a cousin living with Ida who I still have to figure out. He wasn't a character really on it's own but he/she was intriguing. Believe me or not I am still not sure which pronounce I should use. And then there was Daisy who was again just a side character, a love interest of Ida. So the they in this book was used for Daisy. I am still really carefully now that I am writing about Daisy but I have to just say that this kind of character taught me really much. I sorta dislike big hyped diverse books because I have experience with them just being good for diversity only but this book was a perfect example that book can be interesting as well as diverse. I have learned a lot from this book and its characters.

ROMANCE: Ida and Daisy are together. That is clear from page one. But what I think was cute was that the romance in this book had nothing to do with gender. This is very rare. 

GOOD: Again this book did a perfect job combining diversity and plot. It might be because I adore dimensional traveling but I really loved how much I learned in this book. 

BAD: Way way too short. This was the only minus for me. 

OVERALL: I really enjoyed the plot as well as diversity, it even made me discuss gender issues with people and realize I am not as aware as I would like to thing. I had an eye for gender studies for some time now as a thing I would like to learn about but most of the time it is about women rights which of course I enjoy too but I kinda now believe that either I am just not aware of other gender studies or there are not many there. One way or another, this book was great for that. My only problem as mentioned above was it's length and because of that I have it only 3.5/5 stars. 

What do you think about IDA?