19 May, 2017

REVIEW: THE MIST by Stephen King


Title: The Mist
Author: Stephen King
Series: - 
Genres: Horror, Thriller
Publisher: Signet
Release: October, 2nd 2007
Source: Paperback
Pages: 230

// Goodreads /

BLURB:
It's a hot, lazy day, perfect for a cookout, until you see those strange dark clouds. Suddenly a violent storm sweeps across the lake and ends as abruptly and unexpectedly as it had begun. Then comes the mist...creeping slowly, inexorably into town, where it settles and waits, trapping you in the supermarket with dozens of others, cut off from your families and the world. The mist is alive, seething with unearthly sounds and movements. What unleashed this terror? Was it the Arrowhead Project---the top secret government operation that everyone has noticed but no one quite understands? And what happens when the provisions have run out and you're forced to make your escape, edging blindly through the dim light?



EXPECTATIONS: Stephen King is my ultimate go to author, when I need something scary in my life. I love the worlds he creates and the creatures that he brings to life so going into this book I knew I should expect something that I couldn't even imagine!

THE WORLD: It's pretty much our normal world. The plot takes place in s small town in Maine, Brighton, it's sort of this resort town, where people go to relax. The plot takes place after a thunderstorm, when the whole town is slowly becoming covered by this mysterious mist.

CHARACTERS: So the main character in this novel is David, who comes to this town for the summer with his wife and son Billy. They go into town to get supplies and because of this mist they end up being locked in the supermarket with other people, who where shopping at the same time.

David was a good character, he took care of his son, he tried to keep people calm, after they finally understand that there is something in the mist that will them, because when the electricity goes down, a guy who worked in the supermarket goes out and is taken by something into the mist. After that all hell breaks loose and of course David is the one of the people who understand the importance of being calm.

>Another sort of important character is Amanda, because she kind of takes the role of the other part of David's logical thinking. She understand how important it is to stay all together and make group decisions. I also liked Ollie, who kind of helped David.

I hated Mrs. Carmody, oh God, was she annoying. She was this religious fanatic who convinced the majority of people to human sacrifice and then all of it would end. I mean...I would have shot her with pleasure. 

There are other characters of course, but they kind of just fall into the typical, pretty girl, stupid boy types.

ROMANCE: David and Amanda, of course but in all honesty, this is not a romantic book, believe me!

GOOD: The ending. I DID NOT SEE THAT COMING. Really, I screamed, I jumped and could not believe this!

BAD: Sometimes it was too long.

OVERALL: I really liked it! And would recommend it to anyone who likes thrillers, and something lingering in the mist!

What do you think about THE MIST?