16 June, 2017

REVIEW: GONE by Michael Grant


Title: Gone
Author: Michael Grant
Series: Gone #1
Genres: YA, Dystopian, Science Fiction
Publisher: HarperTeen
Release: 2008
Source: Audiobook/Physical copy
Pages: 560

// Goodreads // BookDepository // Amazon //

BLURB:
In the blink of an eye, everyone disappears. Gone. Except for the young.

There are teens, but not one single adult. Just as suddenly, there are no phones, no internet, no television. No way to get help. And no way to figure out what's happened.

Hunger threatens. Bullies rule. A sinister creature lurks. Animals are mutating. And the teens themselves are changing, developing new talents—unimaginable, dangerous, deadly powers—that grow stronger by the day. It's a terrifying new world. Sides are being chosen, a fight is shaping up. Townies against rich kids. Bullies against the weak. Powerful against powerless. And time is running out: On your 15th birthday, you disappear just like everyone else...



EXPECTATIONS: So this book is pretty popular in many countries and then in some it is barely known which is always an intriguing thing when it comes to books. 

THE WORLD: Okay at first glance this world is pretty much like hours. Except that one day all people that are 15 years old or older disappear. Actually when you turn 15 you also disappear, just poof and you are gone. So eventually really all people that are in this world range from babies to 14 year olds. And then on top of that some of the kids have super powers. I think the concept is pretty interesting and has a lot of potential. It reminds me a bit of Children of the Corn. Anyways unfortunately for my disappointment author really did not fill the true potential of this story. It turned out to be a book really about stupid kids fights and no other than usual kids drama. Yes we get guns involved and oh I'm the big boss gangs stuff but in the end it is not unique. I was extremely bored with this world. 

CHARACTERS: Now let me just tell you that I have read some things author has said in his interviews and I consider him a very hateful person, if I knew before I read the book I would have never picked anything of him. But I guess the book speaks for itself as I gave it one star and only after found out his real stands in life on things. Anyways, so we have many characters in this, most very stereotypical and not worth neither your nor my time discussing. But what we also have in this book is little brother of a girl who is autistic. You have just no idea how ableism there is in this book! I have never read a book where an autistic person is made so much fun of and offended on so many levels. Even his sister...Yes at one point they had her at gunpoint to say her brother is retarded but really even when nobody points a gun at her she is still considering his retarded. There is nothing retarded about being autistic! And calling somebody retarded because of their difference is in general really really horrible thing in my dictionary. You can only use retarded when you are talking in medical terms, mental retardation is a clinical condition, calling being retarded in your book...this just makes me hate you for your ableism! 

And this is not all, the image of girls this book made was horrible as well. Frankly the whole writing style and wording made no sense at all. I am pissed at this author, yes but still the whole writing style and his characters just screams look at me I am so cool...when really you are a trash. Okay so yeah I should not call people trash but I think people who are writing books to young audience and has so much ableism in them are not worth my respect. 

ROMANCE: Sometimes I really had to stop and think if I am reading a book about 13-14 years olds or college students lusting after each other. I'm sorry but no 13-14 years old behave like this, sure hormones kick in I get it, but there is a big difference between 13-14 years olds children and 16-17 who actually do act on hormones push. 

GOOD: Nothing. Glad this agony is over. 

BAD: I am horrified these books are out there for our young audience to read.

OVERALL: I am never ever reading anything of Michael Grant again! 

What do you think about GONE?