20 July, 2017

REVIEW: INTO THE WILD by Jon Krakauer

Title: Into The Wild
Author: Jon Krakauer
Series: -
Genres: Nonfiction, Travel, Adventure
Publisher: Anchor
Release: January 20th, 1997
Source: Kindle
Pages: 207 


Goodreads //

BLURB: In April 1992 a young man from a well-to-do family hitchhiked to Alaska and walked alone into the wilderness north of Mt. McKinley. His name was Christopher Johnson McCandless. He had given $25,000 in savings to charity, abandoned his car and most of his possessions, burned all the cash in his wallet, and invented a new life for himself. Four months later, a party of moose hunters found his decomposed body. How McCandless came to die is the unforgettable story of Into the Wild.

Immediately after graduating from college in 1991, McCandless had roamed through the West and Southwest on a vision quest like those made by his heroes Jack London and John Muir. In the Mojave Desert he abandoned his car, stripped it of its license plates, and burned all of his cash. He would give himself a new name, Alexander Supertramp, and, unencumbered by money and belongings, he would be free to wallow in the raw, unfiltered experiences that nature presented. Craving a blank spot on the map, McCandless simply threw away the maps. Leaving behind his desperate parents and sister, he vanished into the wild.

EXPECTATIONS: I have actually seen the movie a couple of years ago and the movie touched me to my deepest core and I love it so much, I think it's one of the best movies ever made. So going into the book it's based on, I expected this amazing, eye-opening experience!

THE WORLD: So the world is our world, since this is a nonfictional book. The plot takes place in United State, in numerous states, but mostly Alaska. Now I have to mention that I thought this is a novel, however IT IS NOT! It's this type of memoir thing or just resembles a really long article., so the narrator - Jon Krakauer, gives us details about the young traveler's life, his surroundings, family, his travels and how he dies. Now I'm not afraid of spoiling anything because it's on the back of the book!

CHARACTERS: So in this book we have the narrator - Jon Krakauer, and he tells a story of a young man of 24 years old, named Christopher McCandless, who gave up his entire life and ventured into the wild! In the book Krakauer gives us details up until the moment Christopher leaves, his life before leaving, during and after he found the bus. In all honesty I think there are two types of people: people who romanticize Chris'es choice to leave civilization and life of the land, and other's who don't understand it and kind of judge him for it. I personally am in the middle! In the movie we are given a different side of Chris, but in the book, he did came off a little spoiled, selfish and not caring of any other person but himself.

Through out this book, as Krakauer states he meets various people, who give him jobs, food, clothes, he kind of becomes this virtual son of one couple, and an almost grandson to a lonely man, who just needed someone in his life and it seemed like he was with these people just because it was convenient for him. I dunno, it's not good to speak ill of the dead but I didn't understand some of the choices Chris, or Alexander Sumertramp, as he called himself, made. But I guess I do understand him, I think he had issues with either expressing emotions or connecting to people. But he loved to read, he was very smart. When his body was discovered books from Dostoevsky and such were found with him, which I think made an influence on him too.

ROMANCE: None what so ever, we are couple of times told that few girls liked Chris, because he was kind, smart and handsome, but besides that - nothing.

GOOD: I liked the parts where Krakauer discussed Chris'es inner thoughts, what he must have felt. I enjoyed reading three last chapters the most, because Krakauer himself traveled to the bu where Chris died and just absorbed everything himself. Also, I liked that This book clearly states how prepared you need to be to travel anywhere, especially to Alaska or any other cold place. How much preparation you need to go through: how many clothes, maps, food, shoes and so on you need to have!

BAD: At times it did romanticize Chris'es adventure and I'm not sure I liked that. Because Chris went into the wild to escape something but he was unprepared for that he ultimately ended up paying the highest price.

OVERALL: In all honesty, I would say simply to watch the movie. It's not interesting, you get to see Chris'es inner self, the book is good but it's a little boring for my taste.


What do you think about INTO THE WILD?



0 comments:

Post a Comment