17 February, 2018

REVIEW: CALL ME BY YOUR NAME by Andre Aciman


Title: Call Me By Your Name
Author: Andre Aciman
Series: -
Genres: Fiction, LGBT, Romance, Contemporary
Publisher: Picador/Farrar Straus and Giroux
Release: October 3rd, 2017
Source: Audiobook
Pages: 248

// Goodreads // BookDepository // Amazon //

BLURB:

Andre Aciman's Call Me by Your Name is the story of a sudden and powerful romance that blossoms between an adolescent boy and a summer guest at his parents' cliffside mansion on the Italian Riviera. Each is unprepared for the consequences of their attraction, when, during the restless summer weeks, unrelenting currents of obsession, fascination, and desire intensify their passion and test the charged ground between them. Recklessly, the two verge toward the one thing both fear they may never truly find again: total intimacy. It is an instant classic and one of the great love stories of our time.

 

EXPECTATIONS: I saw the movie trailer and I thought that the concept was interesting. Plus, the summer, Italy, beautiful actors! I went online to check the reviews for this one and noticed that it has a lot of good reviews so I found an audiobook of it and four days later this book became a part of me! I couln't sleep, I couldn't eat, all I was doing was thinking about this book!!! You guys, this has become one of my favorite books ever!

THE WORLD: The plot takes place in 1982 or 1983, and the majority of the plot is set in Italy. So we get to see Italy at it's best, there so many beautiful descriptions about the places, the food, the music, we get some Italian words and names and it's just so unique and cute and just amazing. I have to say though, that I really was kind of shocked it was the 80's, because while the plot takes place, you kind of don't care about the time or year. I didn't even realize that I don't know the time in this book yet, since it made no difference to me whatsoever. Really the world in this book made me want to go to Italy even more!!!

CHARACTERS: Our main character and the narrator of this story is Elio. He is 17 years old and we get to experience this book from his eyes. Elio was just.....amazing. A young person, trying to figure out who he is, his inner self. He is writing a diary the entire summer and you get to see and understand his most deepest thoughts, his deepest desires and wantings.You get to understand him as a person going through a self-establishment process and I have to say I loved every moment of it!
The other main character is Oliver, a 24 year old graduate student who is about to start a teaching job after the summer ends. He comes to Italy to stay with Elio's family and write his thesis or book I think, he called it manuscript. Oliver - is a presence. You fall in love with him the moment you see him and I felt that way too. I mean the book was just so good, that I was Elio in it and I too fell in love with Oliver!

These two characters - I just have no words for them. I mean this book....God, I wish I could film this review because I have tears even remembering it now. I think my expression would just say it all!
Oliver and Elio were real. Real people, with real issues, real ideas, feelings, doubts, questions, desires, flaws and hopes. They made mistakes, they made terrible mistakes, they made good choices, they were real.

I also loved Elio's parents. No spoilers, but there is a scene with Elio and his father towards the end of the book that just ripped my heart to peaces. Beautiful!

ROMANCE: Elio and Oliver. There is all you need to know.

GOOD: Writing. The writing in this book is probably one of the best ones I have ever came across. I mean the words, the phrases were just exceptional! Really, the writing was top notch! Also I loved the realness of this book. I mean it wasn't over the top, or this soapy teenage romance or something. Yes the main character was a teenager a young adult but he was so mature and tried to figure himself out in such a wonderful way.

I also enjoyed how logical this book was. Oliver does understand that he is older than Elio, so their romance is not sex and sex. He thinks about it, he takes his time, his space. There is not insta love. It's a romance built on desire, intrigue, chemistry, electricity. It's not just a lame story about two people, it's a poem, an ode to love, to young love.

BAD: There were a couple of scenes I did not enjoy that much, or lets say certain aspects of the plot line, but again the book itself was so good. I also was a little disappointed by the ending maybe. I mean it was a good ending but just a little predictable.

OVERALL: I would totally recommend reading this book. It's phenomenal really! I can see that this isn't for everyone, but to me it fit perfectly. I loved it!

What do you think about CALL ME BY YOUR NAME?

 

0 comments:

Post a Comment