09 July, 2015

REVIEW: CLOCKWORK ANGEL by Cassandra Clare


Title: Clockwork Angel
Author: Cassandra Clare
Series: The Infernal Devices #1
Genres: YA, Fantasy, Paranormal
Publisher: Walker Books Ltd
Source: Physical copy
Pages: 485

Add to GoodReads // Buy on BookDepository

SYNOPSIS:  In a time when Shadowhunters are barely winning the fight against the forces of darkness, one battle will change the course of history forever. Welcome to the Infernal Devices trilogy, a stunning and dangerous prequel to the New York Times bestselling Mortal Instruments series.

The year is 1878. Tessa Gray descends into London’s dark supernatural underworld in search of her missing brother. She soon discovers that her only allies are the demon-slaying Shadowhunters—including Will and Jem, the mysterious boys she is attracted to. Soon they find themselves up against the Pandemonium Club, a secret organization of vampires, demons, warlocks, and humans. Equipped with a magical army of unstoppable clockwork creatures, the Club is out to rule the British Empire, and only Tessa and her allies can stop them...
.


I have read the Mortal Instruments before and everybody was saying I should read the Infernal Devices and how much better they are. So I did, or at least I read the first one. Tho, I do own all three books in their amazingly beautiful covers.


If you think Mortal Instruments are boring then wait till you get to the first book of Infernal Devices.

THE WORLD: It is set in 18th century London. The carriages, horses and tight dresses. Also, not a sniff of technology. Yes, what you know of Shadowhunters you can forget. All you have is a stele.

CHARACTERS: Tessa is the warlock of a sort who is the main character in the book. Unfortunately, she is not like Clary. I personally find Tessa to be very very boring and shallow. Surely, I cannot compare her shallowness to Jessie who is just a horror story but still, Tessa is a terrible main character. Then we have Will aka Jace. You all know how much I despise Jace so I guess it is no surprise that whenever the chapter of Will came I was scanning through it and counting letter till its over. However, the reason I did not put this book back in the shelf for good was James. He is truly somebody one can be passionate about. I love James, he is everything I am looking in a good character everybody can love. Tho, the fact that Cassandra Clare nicknames him Jem...stupid. Such a beautiful name and such a terrible nickname.

LOVE: Of course we have love. Will and Tess aka Jace and Clary. Will cannot love her as he is all terrible for her and all that blah blah and Tess is naive and blames herself for being not good enough for Will. I am also sensing a love triangle coming between James Tess and Will. Blah.

PLUS: The covers of the books are absolutely amazing!

MINUS: When you read a synopsis you would expect something big like Valentine or Sebastian. Well sorry, nothing even remotely similar. The whole story is just very very boring. 

OVERALL: I am very sad for being this dissapointed. It usually takes me just a few days to read the book of 500 pages but it took me much longer than two days and a lot of forcing myself in order to finish this book. It is no surprise I have started and read rather many pages of other book while reading the Clockwork Angel. It is going to take a lot to finish the series.

RATING: I would give this book 2/5 starts but due to amazing covers I am giving 3/5 stars.



What do you guys think about CLOCKWORK ANGEL?