07 February, 2017

REVIEW: REACHED by Ally Condie

Title: Reached
Author: Ally Condie
Series: Matched #3
Genres: Dystopian, YA
Publisher: Penguin
Release: 2012
Source: Audiobook
Pages: 512

// Goodreads // BookDepository // Amazon //

BLURB:
After leaving Society to desperately seek The Rising, and each other, Cassia and Ky have found what they were looking for, but at the cost of losing each other yet again. Cassia is assigned undercover in Central city, Ky outside the borders, an airship pilot with Indie. Xander is a medic, with a secret. All too soon, everything shifts again.


EXPECTATIONS: I have stopped reading Dystopian book some time last year or by the end of 2015 but in spring I decided to pick Matched series and surprisingly I really enjoyed both first and the second books. Therefore, it is no surprise I was eager to get into the final book.

THE WORLD: Okay so there is this place of about 23 million people controlled by Society. Like a small country. People there do not know anything other than the way society tells them to live. What is society? Well it is a government which pretty much determined your whole life. They mach things, highest statistical probability of success, best statistical match to marry, best work occupation, best amount of children and so on. Everything is dictated by society. And in principle it is not really wrong, statistically you can easily determine many things, only problem is that not always people want to pick the best probable outcome. And that is why The Rising exists. A group of rebels who go against the Society. Frankly I do not mind society itself but for their twisted cruelty. You are either a citizen or anomaly. And if you are anomaly you get put in war zone. Sometimes you get killed just to show citizens how good they have. Yeah, very dystopian I know.

CHARACTERS: There are three main characters: Cassia, Ky and Xander. Cassia is at the centre of it of course because well love triangle, what dystopian book without a love triangle. But frankly I don't mind her. For my taste personally Cassia is way too naive but she is not annoying so that is always a plus. Ky on the other hand...I loved him and Cassia in the first book but more and more I started to dislike him as story progressed. I just really do not like his whiny self pity character. Hrr. And then there is Xander, a doctor forever in love with his match Cassia. Xander was nothing I would like in a book when this series started but opposite to Ky he eventually became a character I enjoy the most. There are of course other characters, some of them really weird and some of them just simply forgettable. Again, typical dystopian.

ROMANCE: This book had this very cheesy ending which I must admit did not enjoy much. Just not my type of tea I guess.

GOOD: I am not sure how I really feel about it but Ally Condie took the plot she was developing up till now and sorta made it into completely different one. It is nicely done but once again I am not sure if I liked it that much. Basically this book started about fighting the society but really book three is a book about plague and finding the cure. Weird.

BAD: What mentioned above in GOOD part. It was just so so weird. But having that said what I really did hate was the ending. Basically nobody wins and you can choose if you want to be part of society or rebellion or something else. Like Society did not collapse. Rebellion did not take over. Super weird ending.

OVERALL: I must admit this was a disappointing ending. I was not a biggest fan of direction this book took and of the way characters were developed. I don't know, I feel like I have invested a lot of love into this series and I kinda got left alone in the cold.


What do you think about REACHED?